Wild in the City is training volunteers who are people of colour as Nature Guides. Our Nature Guides will support urban residents in developing their relationship with nature and with others; facilitating people in exploring beautiful natural settings in London and beyond, through walks and woodland experiences.
We are pleased to provide a unique opportunity within the only Black led nature skills training for people of colour in the UK. Places are limited with 6 Nature Guide candidates selected each year.
Wild in the City’s Nature Guides will open up nature and the countryside to urban residents
This training is open to volunteers who have undertaken the Nature Connectors course, which forms a pre requisite and first component of the guiding programme; in which we reflect on our own relationship with nature, as people of colour and give grounding to the values which help develop positive relationships in and with nature.
This in-depth training will deepen knowledge, skills and connection, covering walk leadership, woodland living skills, natural history and ecotherapy.
Through training Nature Guides we will;
- build a team of people of colour leading experiences in nature
- develop volunteers confidence in the outdoors and as leaders
- create a secure base for our communities in nature
- change the landscape of provision and delivery within the environmental field, making it more inclusive
As a therapeutic organisation, Nature Guides must be able to work within Wild in the City’s ethos and be proactive in co-creating a culture of respect, self awareness and honesty.
Nature Guides are expected to have a high level of emotional awareness and to be able to:
- be reflective
- give and receive feedback constructively
- acknowledge their own feelings and to be able to listen to those expressed by others
- work cooperatively within teams
- be respectful of others and difference
- be assertive in holding boundaries
- be aware of power dynamics in relationships and respect trust placed in them
- attend to self care
- be resilient in working in outdoor conditions